The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Monday, May 19, 2014

Pick Me Up Monday-Gladiators, Ancient Pompeii and Firestorm

Happy Monday my friends!
I couldn't help but post this since it perfectly captures the feel of my latest WIP. Firestorm the second book in my historical paranormal series will release this summer. 

I've never been all that interested in Roman times, finding the era to be cruel and barbaric. Only a funny thing happened as I began research of Pompeii for my shape shifting, time traveling dragons. I found the more I learned, the more interested I became. For the past several months I've immersed myself in all things Roman and the life of gladiators specifically. 

The journey I'm on with Rogan and Sabine is filled with wonder as they tell me their story and I can't help but be drawn into their world. It is times like these when I dearly love what I do. How many people can lose themselves in wondrous worlds of their own creation and bring a story and their characters life? Yes, being a writer is an awesome thing where every book opens you up to a new experience, seeing the world through your characters eyes, delving into the history of those times and reading the day to day accounts of people who lived it. 

It makes one appreciate what we take for granted in the twenty-first century. It can also show you another side to life, one of a much slower pace with much less complications. In our world of instant gratification there is not much time now to savor the expectation of working hard for what you want. 

Makes you wonder what hopes and dreams ancient man may have held dear and strove to attain.

Yes, I am a geek when it comes to history. I can't seem to get enough and the more I find out, the more questions I have. Firestorm is proving to be one hell of a journey for me, one which makes me appreciate what I have right in my back yard. Like Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz who realizes at the end there is no place like home. 

Well enough deep thoughts and back to my world where Rogan is waiting impatiently for the next scene to be born. Black dragons are notorious for their quick temper and little patience. Have a wonderful week and don't forget to stop every once in a while. Take the time to smell the roses and be thankful for the little things in life as well as the big.

And with that, I'll chat with you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment